Shona studied Visual Communication at Edinburgh College of Art, (specialising in stop-motion animation) and now works as an illustrator in Co. Waterford, Ireland. Her projects vary from book illustration and comics, to murals and concept artwork. Her most recent published book is ‘The Moon Spun Round’ which is a collection of poetry by W. B. Yeats, edited and compiled by Noreen Doody, and published by The O’Brien Press in October 2016. It was gifted to the White House in 2017 by the Irish Government as one of their St. Patrick's Day gifts. The art
work from The Moon Spun Round was also selected to be exhibited at the Bratislava Illustration Bienniel
in September 2017.
Her debut picture book The Pooka Party will be published by The O'Brien Press in October 2018.
Her solo exhibition ‘Juniper’ was in the Roe Valley Arts and Cultural Centre in 2014, and has since been exhibited throughout the north and south of Ireland. This series of work depicts a visual narrative showing a group of creatures searching through various strange landscapes.
Shona is also the director of Mireog, for which she designs and hand-prints a range of eco-friendly t-shirts and stationary, mainly in Irish and other Celtic languages, much inspired by Celtic folklore and history.
If you have any questions please feel free to get in touch.
- 'The Pooka Party' by Shona Shirley Macdonald, published by The O'Brien Press. Publication date: Oct 1st 2018
- 'The Moon Spun Round' collection of poetry by W. B. Yeats, edited by Noreen Doody, illustrated by myself, published by The O'Brien Press. Publication date: Oct 3rd 2016
- Gaelic comic An Smutag Ghaisgeil illustrated for West Highland Animation, published 2015.
- Gaelic comic Cuir Stad air an Stoirm Shneachda illustrated for West Highland Animation, published 2012.
- Illustration published in zine Minus 9 Squared, issue2, ‘Memory’, May 2010.
- Turas go bun na Speire Poetry retrospective written in Irish by Rita Kelly. Cover and interior illustration. Interior illustrations also by Ciarán Ó Nualláin. Published by Cló Iar- Chonnachta 2008.
- Bratislava Illustration Bienniel, September 2017 (representing Ireland alongside 11 other Ireland based illustrators)
- Group show 'Illustrators Ireland 'Without the Words' in Garter Lane Arts Centre in Waterford City from 17th June to the 26th August 2017. Also was shown in the Luan Gallery, Athlone, from Nov 5th 2016, in the Riverbank Arts Centre from March 4th 2017, and in Galway Arts Centre from April 24th - May 13th 2017.
- Group show 'Summer Collection' in Gallery 20ten in Waterford City, 21st June - 2nd September 2017.
- Group show by lIlustrators Ireland and other selected artists 'The State of Us' in the Chocolate Factory in Dublin on 16/17th June 2017.
- Group show by lIlustrators Ireland 'Judging by the Cover' in Pearse street library March 2017, and travelling to Coolock Library Dublin in April 2017.
- Solo show 'Juniper' in Ards Arts Centre, in Newtownards, Northern Ireland, Dec-Jan 2016/17.
- Solo show 'Juniper' in the Town Hall Theatre, in Galway city as part of children's arts festival Baboró. October 17th - November 9th 2016.
- Group show 'Microcosm' in Grennan Mill Craft School, Thomastown, as part of the Kilkenny Arts Festival. 5th-14th Aug 2016.
- Group show 'Meet the Family' in the Summerhouse Café, as part of the Towers and Tales Festival in Lismore, Apr 16th-23rd 2016.
- Solo show 'Juniper' in Galway Arts Centre, as part of Cúirt International Festival of Literature, Apr 17th-24th 2016.
- Group show of Comic Art in Alliance Française, Mar 2nd-Apr 2nd 2016.
- Solo show 'Juniper' in Riverbank Arts Centre, Children's Gallery, Newbridge, Jan 9th-Feb 13th 2016.
- Solo show 'Juniper' in Carlow County Library, Shaw Room Gallery, Carlow, October 22nd-30th 2015.
- Solo show 'Juniper' in Rua Red Café Gallery, Dublin, August 1st-31st 2015.
- Solo show 'Juniper' in The Summerhouse Café in Lismore, Co. Waterford, 18th June-23rd July 2015.
- Solo show 'Juniper' in Mountmellick Gallery, Co. Laois, Ireland, 5th-29th May 2015.
- Group Show ‘Facial Expression’ in the United Arts Club in Dublin 26th Feb 2015.
- Solo show ‘Juniper’ in the Roe Valley Arts and Cultural Centre, 8th-30th August 2014.
- Group show ‘Being Here’ in Old Market House Arts Centre, Dungarvan, June 2014.
- Group Show ‘Once Upon a Time’ in the Roe Valley Arts & Cultural Centre, Limavady, Northern Ireland,5th Aug-24th Sep 2011.
- Group Show ‘Mail Art: Medium Without a Message’, Red Gate Gallery, London, Jul-Aug 2010.
Screenings: (of Stop-motion animated degree film The Forest of Cake)
- shown as part of solo show 'Juniper' in the Riverbank Arts Centre, Children's Gallery, Newbridge, Jan 9th-Feb 13th 2016.
- projected in Dublin, Ireland, by the Digital Hub, March 26th-28th 2010.
- Flip Animation Festival in Wolverhampton, England, 2008.
- Film Festival Banjaluka, Bosnia & Herzegovina, October 21st-25th 2008,
- Projector Animation Festival, Dundee, Scotland, 30th January 2008,
- Edinburgh Filmhouse, Scotland June 2007.